It’s time to put down the smart phone and learn how it works! The best part of electric circuits, IMO, is that doing circuit work is really like playing a great puzzle game…This stuff is so much fun!
RESOURCES FOR THIS UNIT
Full teacher notes available by request via email to Michelle.Burgess@avonlakecityschools.org
from an official educational institution email address.
Video 1: Current, Resistance, and Ohm’s Law
Video 2: Basic Circuit Geometry parts 1 & 2
OK, disclaimer: I got really tired (read: goofy) doing part 2. I’d already been teaching for thirteen hours. You have been warned.
Video 3: Compound Circuits
Video 4: Real vs. Ideal Batteries, Voltmeters, Ammeters, and an Ugly Problem
Video 5: Dear Lord, they put capacitors in circuits, too???
NOTE: The answer keys to the sample problems at the end of the video are from a different practice sheet. I will update the video soon, but in the meantime please be aware that the answers are not correct. Thank you for your patience.
- Awesome GIF that relates Ue to Ug (Flipping Physics)
- Cheeseball video that helps you understand charge flows when there’s a difference in potential from one point to another (Skip to about 2:00.)
- PhET DC Circuit Construction Kit
- PhET Resistivity Sim
- PhET Ohm’s Law (a bit simplistic, but that’s cool)
- PhET Battery-Resistor Circuit (again a bit simplistic, but, again, that’s cool)